Usually when we struggle with our wardrobe, it’s not because of a lack of clothing. In fact, many of us have way too much stuff cluttering our closets, and the sheer volume of random clothing makes it difficult to focus and #justgetdressed.
We’re constantly bombarded with images, special sales and can’t-pass-up deals that make it easy to acquire more and more stuff.
Heck, I go to Target to buy light bulbs and end up with a cart filled with everything from bananas to new pajamas.
Instead, what we need to do is shop with a plan, a purpose…and a well-defined list (hint: this is just one of the features included in the B.Styled Challenge).
We also need to allocate our clothing budget in a way that makes sense. To help, I created this graphic showing where to spend your money, and where to save. And see below for the live video I made on the topic:
WHEN TO SPEND:
- Jeans: Cheap denim is tempting I know, but it also loses its shape and fades much more quickly than premium brands. I think everyone should own at least one pair of high quality, perfectly fitting jeans. When you find a brand you love, keep a look out for sales. I’ve even bought my favorite Paige jeans on eBay!
- Underwear (especially bras): Don’t skimp on the foundation. Invest in perfectly fitting bras and get undies that show no VPL’s (visible panty lines). While only a few people will see them, their effects are obvious. 😉 Click HERE to learn how you can get fitted for the perfect bra virtually, without even leaving home. I’ve tried it and am totally sold!
- Jackets/Blazers: Don’t underestimate the power of a fitted blazer. It can complete a work outfit and gives shape to your casual looks, providing a polished finishing touch.
- Shoes: Fabulous shoes can transform and upgrade a $20 dress. On the flip side, cheap shoes can instantly downgrade an otherwise fabulous outfit. Shoes (and handbags) are an area where quality over quality rules (my apologies to you shoe collectors out there;)
- Coat: Your coat is something you may wear every single day and it makes a statement as you enter and exit. Invest in a coat you love that has classic staying power so you can resurrect it year after year.
WHEN TO SAVE:
- Statement Jewelry: If you know me, you know I love a funky necklace. Take your wardrobe foundations and transform them completely with the jewelry you add. The options for fabulous, inexpensive jewelry are endless. The key is to find pieces that are inexpensive without looking “cheap”.
- Occasion Items: Special Occasion = Infrequent Use. Don’t spend a fortune on glitzy bags, earrings or metallic heels when there are plenty of inexpensive options out there. Instead invest in a fabulous dress that’ll be ready for you when the invitation arrives.
- Tee, Tanks & Knits: Premium knits made from fine, soft fibers often get holes and stains (think armpit) quicker than their bargain alternatives. It’s a good idea to have a couple of quality cashmere sweaters, but for tees and layering pieces, make sure they fit and flatter — but go for the bargains.
- Scarves: When you see a scarf that speaks to you and it’s a good deal, grab it. Like statement jewelry, scarves are a fantastic and affordable way to add color and pattern to your wardrobe essentials….and display your individual personality.
In a nutshell:
SPEND: Frequent Use • Durable • Classic • Essentials • Signature Items
SAVE: Delicate • Low Use • Trendy • Accent Pieces
B.Styled Fall 2016 Essentials Challenge
The B.Styled Fall 2016 Essentials Challenge will help you focus on the essentials and show you how to create amazing looks with less clothing. Enrollment is now open….there’s a special bonus for early registrants! Click HERE for details.
Sign up early….There’s a special bonus for early registrants!
Now, go #justgetdressed 😉