How are you holding up so far??
Week one of the Shopping Detox is in the books. How did you do?
I know that I for one, am finding this time around to be much more difficult than the detox I/we did back in February. Maybe it’s because I’m drawn to bright colors and there are so many fun, summer tops and dresses being advertised 24/7. I can’t go through my email inbox or social media feed without getting very, very weak and tempted.
Here are some tips to keep us strong during the next 21 days.
1. If you haven’t already, click HERE to join the private #justgetdressed Facebook group.
Just the other day I posted a white J.Crew skirt that was on sale, screaming my name, and making me lose my resolve. Despite some “enablers” (you know who you are, and you know I love you;) I was able to take advice from the group and make the best choice for me.
I ended up nixing the purchase and dug out a white skirt I almost forgot I owned. It was different, but still a white skirt and works just fine. The on-line therapy session I got from the post was FREE, and I saved myself a cool 50 bucks. Thank you, ladies.
2. As you go through your emails, DELETE the retail sale ads without even opening them. It’s like grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Don’t do it. Don’t open the email.
3. Go ahead and read your favorite fashion blogs, but don’t let yourself be tempted to buy things just because they look great on the blogger. Take the info and tips and apply them to YOUR wardrobe…what you already OWN.
4. Along the lines of #2, don’t go to the mall, or God forbid, Target or TJMaxx, when you’re feeling especially “vulnerable”. Stick to the dreaded grocery store and pharmacy and other stores that only sell things that keep you and your family alive.
5. Check out the private B.Styled #justgetdressed Facebook page for my #ShopYourCloset tips and tricks. Today’s tip was to take an item, like a top for example, that you think of as being “dressy” and wear it casually for a change. Why not? Unless it has to be dry cleaned, it doesn’t cost a dime to wear something you already own, right? (Another reason I tend to avoid dry clean-only items.)
6. Last but not least, if you see something that is on the list of WARDROBE ESSENTIALS that I provide with my Seasonal Style Systems, snap a pic of it and post it to the group and I’ll give you my honest opinion. IF it’s truly an Essential, and just right for you, I may give you a free pass;)
But in the meantime, stay strong and keep track of all the moola you’re saving that you can divert to some summer fun.
P.S. Need some personal help and don’t want to use the Facebook page? Feel free to drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m happy to help!