This must be the biggest year yet for hype surrounding the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. If you’re new to this crazy phenomena…here’s a live video I made on the eve of Early Access for the sale. In a nutshell, yes, it’s a special sale, there are great deals to be had on BRAND NEW styles, but you need to keep you wits about you;)
That said, this sale is a great time to save if you’ve been thinking of investing in a pair of premium denim jeans. I’ve been lusting after a pair of (soon to be named) jeans, so when they popped up on the Early Access Sale (#NSALE), I decided to splurge. I figured I’d try them and if they didn’t live up to all the hype, I’d just return them; no harm no foul. Let me be clear….. these jeans are normally insanely expensive, and on the #NSALE they are only ridiculously expensive. But in the interest of Market Research (and free returns) I clicked BUY (I even ordered 2 sizes to make sure I got it right).
I got my first #NSALE shipment today, including the jeans. I tried them on with my favorite, basic white t-shirt (also on the sale and I ordered another one since I am so rough on them).
As soon as I put the jeans on, yes, I LOVED them, but something felt strangely….familiar. I went to my closet, and found a pair of budget-friendly jeans I own, tried them on, and decided to take side-by-side comparison photos.
The only thing I changed was my jewelry….gold vs. silver, just so I could keep the pictures straight.
So, you’re dying to know which jean is the spend and which is the splurge, right? Well just to complicate things, I ask my unsuspecting, work-from-home husband to look at them both in person and decide which was which. He, of all people, nailed it, noticing a clear difference, and thought the splurge pair looked considerably better. Go figure.
So, here you have it:
- Splurge: AG The Legging, Raw Hem Skinny Jeans Retail $225, #NSALE $149.90
- Save: American Eagle Denim X Jegging Sale $39.99, buy one get one 50% off
Both pairs are very stretchy and comfortable and with a slightly higher waist. However…
I admit I do really LOVE the AG’s and there are some features that make them stand out to me.
- They have the on-trend raw hem, but if I get sick of that I can cuff them.
- I love the color of the wash…it’s the perfect shade of denim for me…not too light, not too dark. They could be worn very casually with flops or wedges, or dressed up with heeled booties. The difference in color and fading is more obvious in person than in the pics. My husband noticed it immediately.
- I admit I really love the small distressed detail at the hip. I’ve tried more distressed jeans but just don’t feel like myself in them, although I love how they look on others. These have just enough to make to me happy and feel slightly cool (which I’m not).
- Another thing my husband noticed (being a man) is the rear view. I think AG has pocket placement down –making for more flattering hiney on the AG’s.
I’m going to hold on to them for now, and decide in September whether to keep them or send them back. They are available to order on sale now, but with a backorder date of November, which is a drag. But, if you think you want them, best to get them at the sale price and wait to receive them (you can always change your mind).
Here are some of the other #NSALE items I received this week. Unfortunately sizes are limited on some of them, but there’s a good chance of restocking on Friday July 21st when the sale is open to the public – and when all the Early Access returns start coming in. Here’s a link to my complete catalog of picks.
My Verdict and Links:
Leith Circle Cardi – Got it last year in charcoal – love that one. This new version is cut differently (slightly so) . I like it a lot but don’t love it as much. Update: Going to hold out for the barefoot dreams circle cardigan in cream and hope that comes back in stock. This one going back…
Caslon Hooded Cardi – This is really cute and soft…I don’t need another grey sweater though, so back it goes.
Mural Herringbone blazer – So torn on this (and it’s sold out). IF I worked outside the home I’d keep it in a heartbeat. It’s such a great color, love the herringbone, love the tailored but “cool” fit, and love the navy lining when I fold the sleeves. Plus, could wear it all year ’round. What to do? Update: Decided I have enough blazers given my casual life style. As sad as it makes me…back it goes…. Holding out for a really cool “statement blazer”.
Caslon Cowl neck Sweater Definitely keeping this baby. I’ve been looking for a cozy cream sweater since last year’s Winter Style System. I love this one…oversized, long slouchy sleeves, Love the neutral color that’s light and soft.
Free People Peplum Jacket This was the first thing I pulled the trigger on in the sale. It’s still available too. I do love it…but I’m on the fence whether I “need” it and can justify it. Thinking if I lived in a more mild climate I’d keep it in a heartbeat. It works really well with my casual lifestyle and is fun and different from any of my other jackets. Update: Having a hard time letting this one go….so versatile and so different at the same time. Hmmmmm.
Caslon U-Neck T-shirt My favorite tee is baaack, and on sale – too good not to stock up. I already own 2 of these tees in white (one is pretty ragged looking so I’ll retire it). I like to have 2 of these tops on-hand all year long. I also recommend the black, grey and navy/white or black/white stripe as essentials to stock up on at this great price ($17.50). They even come in petite! The neckline is open and flattering without being too low. Looks great with long and short necklaces. It has great shape without clinging. Can be worn out, tucked or half tucked. I wear the white with a nude bra with no problem.
Blondo Booties These are the booties I’m wearing in all the pics above…Got them last year and paid full price with NO regrets. They are on-sale now with stock available. They aren’t as fun as the perforated styles that I also love, but they are more practical (as you can wear them with socks in the winter). They are waterproof and I think as comfortable as sneakers; no joke. They are the perfect taupe/neutral color “mushroom suede”. I highly recommend this color over black.
The last link is the AG Jeans that I am still “sleeping on” – but think I’ll end up keeping. I’m wearing them in all the pics above. To justify the splurge, I’m making a deal with myself to clear out my jean collection and sell the ones I don’t wear regularly. I’ve had great luck selling on the Poshmark app. If you sign up, use my code HEANE and we’ll both get free money.
I hope this rundown has been helpful. If you’ve been disappointed with out of stock situations at the Nordstrom Sale, hang in there — they will be restocking. But remember, popular items will sell out quickly…so don’t snooze, lest you lose;)
Again, If you’re new to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, check out my live video about it here.
Finally, one important note. I think most of you know this, but in the interest of total transparency, I wanted to make it clear that my links are “affiliate links” so if you do purchase from them, I get a tiny commission. When I say tiny, I mean literally pennies. My business model is not based on affiliate commissions but rather on my paid programs and consulting work, but every bit does help, so thank you for using my links when you shop. Of course, you don’t pay a penny more to do so.
Oh, and speaking of my programs…..I am working on Early Access to the Fall Style System…so make sure you are on my list and following me on Facebook, and in the private Facebook Group for all the information when it becomes available in the next few days.
The Fall Style System has some new and special highlights:
- Integration with the Fall Essentials from the past so you aren’t reinventing the wheel if you’ve been following my programs. I will be updating the list with new links and suggestions to fill in where you are missing items.
- A new list of Fall Trends and Add-Ons. These are mostly optional, but they are on-trend additions to add new life to your Fall Essentials.
- An emphasis on ACCESSORIES, with inexpensive and high-impact ways to freshen up your Fall Essentials.
- Tips, guides, videos and special guests to help you “get B.Styled” in more areas of you life besides just clothing: make-up and beauty tips, hair tips, dressing your body tips, and even health and exercise tips! You deserve to look and feel your best from the inside out, so let’s all work to do that together in this wonderful, supportive group of like-minded women. Early access will include shopping catalogs so you can take advantage of the Nordstrom Sale and get started this summer. The Fall Outfit Formulas and daily emails will start right after Labor Day.In the meantime, get back to enjoying SUMMER, #justgetdressed….and no more talk of Fall for a little while;)