You get the invitation and it says something like “Holiday Festive Attire”. WHAAAAT??
Here is a go-to, never-fail formula for all your vague holiday party invites. You can dress it up or dress it down with your choice of shoes and accessories to work with most events this time of year.
Note: An alternative to this formula is a black, navy, plum etc. cocktail dress with black heels and accessories. This look always works if you think a dress is “required” (but it usually isn’t) . If you feel more comfortable in a dress, go for it!
BLACK SKINNY ANKLE PANTS + DRESSY TOP + STATEMENT NECKLACE + BLACK HEELS OR BOOTIES
- Black Ankle Pants: I hate the term skinny pants, but that’s what the designers have called them. I’m talking about slim fitting ankle length pants here. You do NOT have to be skinny to wear these. In fact, most the women I have wrangled in to trying these have said they are the most flattering pants they own. They need to be a substantial material with some stretch so they smooth and flatter. The length should be right to your ankle bone. These pants are appropriate and perfect for just about any occasion as long as they fit you!
- Dressy Top: You probably have this hanging in your closet. Look for a top that drapes and flows over your curves in a dark or bold color that you love. Details like lace, bell sleeves or a bold color make it a statement, but it can also be a simple black top too…because next you are going to add….
- Accessories: The holidays are the time to bring out the glitz and bling, but keep it to ONE statement piece and keep in mind your top when you choose. If your top has any embellishment or details that would compete with a necklace, skip the necklace and go bold with your earrings. On the other hand, if you top is simple and you want to rock a big bold statement necklace, go for it! But wear simple stud earring or hoops that don’t compete. And this time of year I love a chunky cocktail ring. I just got this one and I can’t wait to wear it to every holiday event I have…heck I may even wear it to the grocery store;) Have fun with your accessories! You don’t have to spend a lot to make a big impact and transform your basic essentials!
4. Black Heels: The beauty of your black skinny ankle pants is that (unlike wide leg or boot cut pants) you have many options for shoes. You can go with booties, heels, pumps, or ballet flats.
So, RSVP “yes” to those invites and shop your closet for these 4 items. Here’s is a catalog with links to suggested items to help.
Want some more guidance and personal help? The Winter 2016 -17 B.Styled Winter Essentials Challenge opens this Monday, December 5th!
Here are some highlights of this challenge.
- Available for just $39
- 31 piece shopping list of on trend winter essentials, including accessories, many of which may already be in your closet.
- 21 days of cozy chic, casual chic, business chic and dressy chic holiday outfit ideas. Plus a lookbook of 12 workwear alternatives for Monday-Thursday during the 3 weeks.
- Access to the Fall 2016 challenge Catalog and options for incorporating these fall essentials into your winter looks, allowing you to shop your closet and get the most from your purchases.
- A private Facebook group where we share advice, tips and even help each other build specific outfits on the fly! No one sees your pictures but our supportive group of awesome women, and most say this is the BEST, most beneficial part of the challenge.
Click HERE to take the B.Styled Winter Challenge. I hope you’ll join us!
Now go #justgetdressed 😉